Sunday, February 10, 2008

Something Old




(All photos copyright by Dave Miller.)

A few weeks ago, the photo challenge was to photograph something old. There are several things I could choose from but, this particular clock caught my eye. It has been in the family for over 100 years and I have had it for over 30.

The exact age of the clock is unknown but is similar in style to those built in the 1880's and 1890's. The clock came into our family when it was purchased second hand at a farm sale in 1904 for 25 cents.

Although not obvious, the clock does have an alarm. (You can set the time for it to go off by rotating the small numbered ring in the center of the clock face). In my teens, I returned home late one night from an out of town sporting event. Unbeknown to me, my Dad (also rather ornery), had wound the alarm earlier that evening. I was rudely jarred out of bed by the unfamiliar noise a few hours later. I was rather surprised to find it was coming from the old clock since I didn't know it had an alarm until then.

No comments: